The Fraunhofer IOF conducts application-oriented research in the field of optical systems engineering on behalf of its clients in industry and within publicly-funded collaborative projects.
The field of optical system engineering enables the step from specific optical, mechanical and electronic components to optical, opto-mechanical and opto-electronic modules and systems with complex functionalities.
The objective is to control light, from its generation to its application. In this context, the sustainable energy-efficient use of light – "Green Photonics" – plays a special role for the Fraunhofer IOF, particularly with regard to the Fraunhofer innovation cluster.
Clients of Fraunhofer IOF come from the information and communications, lighting, transport, production, life sciences, food, medical technology, environmental and safety engineering markets.
The Fraunhofer IOF provides the entire process chain, starting from system design to manufacture of prototype optical, opto-mechanical and opto-electronic systems.
The competence portfolio encompasses:
- Design and Simulation
- Micro and Nano-structuring
- Optics and Photonics Materials
- Coating and Surface Functionalization
- Diamond-Based Ultra-Precision Processing
- Materials Processing Using Ultrashort Laser Pulses
- Micro-Assembly and System Integration
- Laser Development and Non-Linear Optics
- Measurement Methods and Characterization
We are pleased to welcome the Fraunhofer IOF as a member of Cool Silicon e. V - the research initiative of Silicon Saxony - starting in February 2018!